OPULENCE™ Diamond Simulant and Fancy Gem Jewellery FAQs and Care Guide
1. What is a diamond simulant? How is your OPULENCE™ diamond simulant different from those I can find elsewhere?
A diamond simulant is a lab-created gem that mimics the characteristics of a real mined diamond.
For our OPULENCE™ range, we use only the best quality diamond simulants there are available on the market. Our diamond simulants are classified into two main categories:
- Moissanites (D colour, VVS1 clarity): Moissanites are the highest grade of diamond simulants available on the market. They are also highly sought after as precious gemstones, thus they are in a class of their own. Moissanites are unparalleled in terms of hardness on the Mohs scale (9.5), ranking just below natural diamonds - you don't have to worry about your moissanite jewellery being scratched! Moissanites are also optically similar to real diamonds, and are impossible to distinguish from them using the naked eye. At ALTA, we only use the highest grade of moissanites (D colour and VVS1 clarity) in our moissanite jewellery.
5A grade diamond simulants: Some of our jewellery is made using machine-cut 5A grade diamond simulants. 5A grade diamond simulants are the highest grade of machine-cut diamond simulants available, and are graded 8.5 on the Mohs scale. This hardness is similar to that of a natural ruby and sapphire. Our 5A grade diamond simulants are exceptional in terms of cut, clarity, colour and carat.
It is impossible to optically distinguish between our stones and real diamonds using the naked eye. For details on the exact grade of gemstones used, please refer to each unique product page.
2. What is your diamond simulant and fancy gem jewellery made of?
All our diamond simulant and fancy gem jewellery is made of pure S925 silver, and then plated with at least three layers of 18K white gold, unless otherwise stated. This plating helps to protect the underlying silver from tarnishing, thus ensuring the longevity of your jewellery.
Some of our pieces are also plated in gold/rose gold/white gold vermeil, which is an even thicker layer of real gold plating of at least 2.5 microns, that helps your jewellery last longer. For exact detail of plating thickness, please refer to each unique product page.
3. Can I customise my jewellery?
If you would like your jewellery to last and not tarnish at all, you might consider customising your jewellery and have them done in 18K pure gold. If you would like your jewellery customised to an 18K white/rose/yellow gold chain or band, please contact us here and we will advise you accordingly.
We also offer customisation and design services. To learn more about these options, please visit this link.
4. Is your diamond simulant and fancy gem jewellery hypoallergenic?
All our diamond simulant and fancy gem jewellery pieces are cadmium- and lead- free, unless stated otherwise. They are hypoallergenic.
5. How long will my diamond simulant/fancy gem jewellery last?
Our diamond simulants are extremely hardy and durable, with strength almost similar to that of a real diamond. Gold vermeil jewellery can last for years and is extremely hardy for everyday use. For 18K gold-plated jewellery, its shine and lustre can last for many years if you care for it well (e.g. how your jewellery is handled, if it's wiped after each use and so on). Please refer to the next question on how to care for your jewellery.
6. How do I care for my diamond simulant/fancy gem jewellery?
Always handle your jewellery with clean hands. Avoid spraying chemicals such as perfume, hair spray and make-up onto your jewellery. Do not wear your jewellery in the shower or swimming pool etc. Clean your jewellery with a silver polishing cloth after each use. Store it in an air-tight ziploc bag. If your jewellery loses its lustre over time, simply polish it with a silver polishing cloth. To remove excess dirt and grime, gently wash it with soap and lukewarm water, and then pat it dry with a soft cloth.
7. What packaging options are available?
All our diamond simulant jewellery pieces will be packed in individual jewellery gift boxes before being mailed to you via courier service.
8. Why is your diamond simulant jewellery cheaper as compared to other shops?
We do not have a physical store space, and we liaise directly with our manufacturers in Hong Kong. Thus, this translates to much lower prices for you. We also do not believe in marking up our jewellery prices exorbitantly – we stand firm in our commitment to bringing you quality luxury pieces at affordable everyday prices.
9. Do you have a physical shop where I can try on the diamond simulant and fancy gem jewellery?
No, we do not, in order to keep our retail prices affordable. If you require further information, please contact us via email or Instagram. Viewing options are available by appointment only, at Bishan.
10. What is your refund and exchange policy like?
All goods sold are strictly non-refundable and non-exchangeable, except in the case of manufacturing defects. We assure you that we carry out detailed checks of all our goods before they are being mailed out.
However, in the rare instance where a manufacturing defect does exist, these exchanges must be done within 24 hours of receipt of the goods. The item must be unworn, unwashed, and with all tags intact in original condition. Please provide us with clear photographs of the perceived manufacturing defect when you email us. We reserve the right to reject any request based on our assessment of the photographs provided, at our own discretion. Please also note that exchanges are subject to the same waiting time as a new purchase (3 to 5 weeks).
11. How do I measure my ring size?
Please refer to the step-by-step guide here to measure your ring size. Please make sure that your ring size is measured accurately according to the size chart as all rings are non-exchangeable and non-refundable, since they are made-to-order. Please ensure that you have the correct ring size before placing your order.
12. What are the shipping options available?
We provide free door-to-door local courier service for all diamond simulant jewellery purchases. For international orders, a flat fee of SGD30 is charged for courier with tracking.
13. How long will it take for my order to reach me?
As each diamond simulant is carefully selected and goes through a stringent quality control process, it will take between 3 to 5 weeks to reach you from the time of purchase. While we try our best to get your jewellery to you as soon as possible, we also seek your kind understanding during the Covid-19 period, where shipment may be delayed.